Industrial injuries disablement benefit

If you’re ill or disabled because of an accident at work, or a disease caused by certain types of work, you may be able to claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit. The amount you may get depends on your individual circumstances. This benefit is non-means-tested and non-contribution-based.

You can claim the benefit if you were employed in a job that caused your disease. Relevant health conditions include pneumoconiosis, a lung disease caused by breathing in dust, diffuse mesothelioma, a type of cancer caused by asbestos, and lung cancer.

You can’t claim this benefit if you were self-employed.

There are also two lump-sum payment schemes for people who have certain dust-related injuries, such as mesothelioma. If you have mesothelioma that wasn’t caused by work, you may still be able to get a payment.

How can I claim?

Download a claim form from or contact a regional Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit delivery centre through Jobcentre Plus.

Back to Working age benefits

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a payment for people who are on a low income or looking for work in England, Scotland and Wales.

Jobseeker's Allowance

Jobseeker’s Allowance can give you a weekly income if you are unemployed and able to work.