Car insurance

How cancer can affect buying car insurance

If you have been issued with a driving licence, you should normally be offered car insurance without any special conditions. Your car insurance should only be affected if the cancer makes it more difficult or risky for you to drive.

It is a good idea to check your car insurance policy because some insurers may request that you tell them if you are diagnosed with cancer. If you don’t, you may have trouble making a claim later.

You may need to adapt your vehicle to meet your specific needs. Make sure to tell your insurer straight away if you make any adaptations to your car. If you don’t, you may not be covered if you need to make a claim. Adaptations to your car could make it more expensive for the insurance company to repair your car. If this is the case, the cost of your car insurance may increase.

For information about adapted vehicles, motorised scooters and powered wheelchairs, contact Driving Mobility.

Do I need to contact the DVLA or DVA?

Driving licences are issued by two different organisations in the UK, with different rules for people who are living with cancer, or have recently had treatment for cancer.

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) issues licenses in England, Scotland and Wales.

The Driver and Vehicle Agency (DVA) issues licenses in Northern Ireland.

If you have, or develop, any problems that may affect your driving, you should tell the DVLA or DVA. They will decide if your health is good enough that you are fit to drive.

If your cancer might affect your driving, the DVLA or DVA may limit your driving licence so that you can only drive certain vehicles.


The DVLA says that you only need to tell them you have cancer if:

  • you have, or develop, any problems with your brain or nervous system
  • your doctor is concerned about your ability to drive safely
  • you are restricted to driving certain types of vehicles, or vehicles that have been adapted for you
  • your medication causes side effects that are likely to affect safe driving.

To tell the DVLA about a health condition, call 0300 790 6806. You can also contact them by email or post. Find the right address by visiting GOV.UK. Visit GOV.UK for more information about cancer and driving.


You can tell the DVA about a medical condition by calling 0845 4024 000 or emailing

For guidance about finding the right car insurance for you, or for advice about contacting the DVLA or DVA, contact our financial guides.

Back to Insurance

Health insurance

Cancer may affect your decisions about buying and claiming health insurance.

Life insurance

Life insurance policies pay out money when you die. Having cancer may affect the life insurance you can get.