Personal Independence Payment

To qualify for Personal Independence Payment, you must have had difficulties moving around or caring for yourself for three months. You must expect these difficulties to last for more than nine months. You can claim Personal Independence Payment whether you are working or not.

If you claim Personal Independence Payment, your mobility will be assessed by a health professional. It is based on how the disability affects you, not on the condition you have.

There are two components to Personal Independence Payment:

  • A daily living component, which includes help with preparing food, bathing and dressing. You will receive either £55.10 or £82.30 per week.
  • A mobility component, if you need help getting around. You will receive either £21.80 or £57.45 per week.

If you already get Disability Living Allowance, you will eventually be invited to claim Personal Independence Payment.

In England, Scotland and Wales you can make a claim by calling the DWP on 0800 917 2222. In Northern Ireland you can make a claim by calling the PIP Centre on 0800 012 1573.

Personal Independence Payment

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a new benefit for people aged between 16 and 64. It is for people who have problems moving around and looking after themselves.

You can claim PIP whether you are working or not. If you get PIP it does not reduce other benefits. In some cases, your other benefits may actually increase.

If you are aged 65 or over, you should claim Attendance Allowance instead of PIP.

PIP replaces an older benefit called Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for adults. If you are aged between 16 and 64 and making a new claim, you will need to apply for PIP. People who already get DLA will be reassessed for PIP at some point before the end of 2017, or the end of 2018 if you live in Northern Ireland. 

Who can claim

To get PIP, you must have problems moving around or caring for yourself. You must have had these problems for three months, and expect them to last for at least nine months.

PIP is based on how your condition affects you, not on the condition you have. It has two parts:

  • the daily living component
  • the mobility component.

You may get one or both parts.

The daily living component

The daily living component of PIP is for people who have problems with at least one of the following:

  • preparing food
  • eating and drinking
  • taking medicines, having treatments or monitoring a health condition
  • washing and bathing
  • using the toilet or managing incontinence
  • dressing and undressing
  • speaking with other people
  • reading and understanding signs, symbols and words
  • engaging with others face to face
  • making financial decisions.

The mobility component

The mobility component of PIP is for people who have problems:

  • planning and going on journeys
  • moving around (for example, walking or doing things around the house).


If you claim PIP, a health professional may need to assess your needs. Most people have a face-to-face consultation. You can take someone with you for support if you want to.

The assessment looks at how well you can move around and do daily activities. You must also be likely to meet the requirements of this assessment for the majority of the time (nine months).

When the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) assesses your claim, it looks at whether you are able to carry out certain activities:

  • safely
  • repeatedly
  • to an acceptable standard
  • within a reasonable period of time.

Your claim will also be reviewed regularly, based on how likely it is that your condition will change.

How much you will get

Terminal illness

If you are terminally ill, and may be expected to live for less than six months, you can apply for PIP under the special rules. It does not have to be certain and it does not matter if you live longer than six months.

Under these rules, you do not need to have had mobility or care problems for three months. Your claim will be dealt with quickly and you will get the daily living component at the enhanced rate. If you qualify, you will also be able to apply for the mobility component and get it immediately.

To apply in this way, tell:

  • the DWP by calling 0800 917 2222 if you live in England, Scotland or Wales
  • the PIP Centre in Northern Ireland by calling 0800 012 1573.

You will then need to ask your doctor or specialist nurse to send the DWP or PIP Centre a form called a DS1500.

How to claim

You can make a claim by calling the DWP or PIP Centre (see above). You will need to have some basic information ready, such as:

  • your National Insurance number
  • details of healthcare contacts (such as your GP or specialist nurse)
  • your bank account details.

You won’t have to answer any detailed questions about your health when you call. If you can’t phone the DWP yourself someone else can call for you, but you will need to be with them when they call.

The DWP or PIP Centre will then post you a form that will ask you to explain how your disability or health condition affects you. It’s a good idea to get help from an experienced welfare rights adviser to fill the form in. You can do this by calling the Macmillan Support Line on 0808 808 00 00. Or visit to find out whether you can see a Macmillan welfare rights adviser in person.

It is also a good idea to get evidence about your illness from the people treating you, for example your doctor, cancer specialist or a support worker. This evidence should be submitted with your claim or soon afterwards.

I get the highest mobility payment because my cancer is incurable. If you can’t work, or had to reduce your hours, it’s worth finding out if you are eligible.


Back to Disability-related benefits

Attendance Allowance

You may be eligible for Attendance Allowance if you are aged 65 or over and have difficulty looking after yourself.