Pain can reduce sexual feelings and desire. If you have pain or are worried about pain, it may be helpful to:
- have sex after taking painkillers and wait a short time for them to work
- learn some relaxation techniques to use before having sex
- take control of the depth and speed of penetration
- try to ensure you and/or your partner are close to orgasm before penetration
- try types of sexual contact that you don’t find painful, such as sexual contact without penetration
- use pillows and cushions to help you feel more comfortable and supported
- have sex side by side, to reduce body weight on a sore area.
We have more information about controlling cancer pain that might help.