Working Tax Credit

Working Tax Credit (WTC) is for people aged between 16 and retirement age who either:

  • work but have a low income
  • work and have a disability.

If you are making a new claim, WTC is gradually being replaced by Universal Credit. The benefit you have to apply for will depend on where you live.

Who can claim

To claim WTC, you must:

  • be working for a certain number of hours each week, either for an employer or for yourself (if you are self-employed)
  • have an income below a certain level, or have a disability that would place you at a disadvantage if you tried to get a new job.

If you are aged between 16 and 24, you can only claim WTC if you have a child or a disability.

If you are off work because of illness, you may still be able to claim WTC for up to 28 weeks.

How much you could get

WTC includes a basic amount. There are also extra payments (called elements) for people in certain situations. The extra elements include:

  • a single parent element
  • a disability element
  • a childcare element.

Changes to Working Tax Credit

If you are already getting WTC, you will continue to get it until either:

  • your circumstances change
  • the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) or Social Security Agency (SSA) transfers you to Universal Credit.

If you, or your partner if you have one, still get WTC, you will not be affected by the benefit cap. If you are entitled to WTC but do not get a payment for some reason, the cap will still not affect you – this is called being awarded a nil entitlement. So it is worth finding out whether you qualify for this benefit. Contact a welfare rights adviser for more information.

How to claim

Call HMRC Tax Credits Helpline on 0345 300 3900 or use textphone 0345 300 3909.

Back to If you are unable to work or on a low income

Income Support

Income Support is a benefit that helps people on a low income pay basic living costs.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a payment for people who are on a low income or looking for work in England, Scotland and Wales.

Jobseeker's Allowance

Jobseeker’s Allowance can give you a weekly income if you are unemployed and able to work.