Local transport services

Services available across the UK

  • Free or reduced-cost bus travel. In England, Wales and Scotland, you may be able to get a free bus pass if you are disabled. In Northern Ireland, you can travel for half-price if you are getting certain disability benefits. Contact your local council for more information.
  • Community transport services. If you have problems using public transport, these services may be available in your area. For example, there might be services providing trips to local shopping centres. Some areas have wheelchair-accessible transport that can pick you up from home. These are sometimes called dial-a-ride services. To find out what is available in your area, use the Community Transport Association website or speak to your local council.
  • Local voluntary groups (good neighbour schemes). Some areas have local groups that provide practical help to people who need it. This often includes help with transport to hospital or to see your GP.
  • The British Red Cross. They can provide personal transport services across the UK. This includes a companion for a journey on public transport or a private car with a driver. You will usually be asked for a contribution towards the cost, but you will not be refused the service if you can’t pay.
  • Shopmobility schemes. These provide wheelchairs and scooters for disabled people to help them get around their local area or shopping centres. In England, Scotland or Wales, visit shopmobilityuk.org or call 0844 414 1850. In Northern Ireland, visit shopmobilityni.org or call 07934 190 242.
  • Reduced taxi fare schemes. These are available in some areas. Speak to your local council for more information, or visit gov.uk if you live in England, cosla.gov.uk if you live in Scotland, or wlga.wales if you live in Wales.

Regional transport services

  • St John Wales. They can provide transport for people in Wales who have problems using public transport or their own vehicle. Visit their website or call 0292 044 9600.
  • The Highlands and Islands Travel Scheme. Under this scheme, people from the Highlands and Islands in Scotland can claim a refund on their travel costs to hospital. To qualify, you must either: live or work in the former Highlands and Islands Development Board area or need to travel at least 30 miles from your home (or more than 5 miles by water) to hospital. You must pay £10 of any fare you are claiming, unless you are getting certain income-related benefits. If you need someone to travel with you, their expenses can also be paid for. A health professional has to confirm that this is medically necessary for you. Ask your GP or the cash office at the hospital for a claim form.
  • Isles of Scilly Travel Cost Scheme. The NHS funds transport for all Isles of Scilly residents to get to and from the mainland for hospital treatment. You have to pay a £5 booking fee.
  • London Taxicard Scheme. This scheme provides discounts on door-to-door transport for people who have problems using public transport because of serious mobility problems. Taxicard holders can make journeys in licensed London taxis, and the discount is applied to each trip. For more information and an application form, visit their website or call 020 7934 9791.

Back to Help with transport and parking

Travelling to hospital

You may be able to get help with your travel costs to and from hospital for treatment.

The Blue Badge Scheme

The Blue Badge Scheme can help with parking costs if you have severe mobility problems.

Car and driving costs

You may qualify for schemes that help you buy or rent a car, scooter or powered wheelchair.