Your treatment will be planned by a team of specialists. They will discuss your treatment and agree on what they think is best for you.
This multidisciplinary team (MDT) may include:
- a urologist, who is a surgeon experienced in bladder surgery
- a specialist urology nurse, who gives information and support
- oncologists, who are doctors that have experience in bladder cancer treatment using chemotherapy, immunotherapy and radiotherapy
- a specialist stoma nurse, who supports people with stomas
- a palliative care specialist, who is a doctor or nurse who specialises in symptom control
- pathologists, who advise on the type of cancer and its extent
- radiologists, who analyse x-rays and scans.
Other staff are also available to help you if needed. They include dietitians, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, counsellors and psychologists.
Your doctor will talk to you about the best treatment for your situation. If you have any questions about your treatment, don’t be afraid to ask the doctor or nurse looking after you.