Who else can help

There are lots of ways to get support and information. But you may want to go to different places for different things.

Your healthcare team is always a good place to start. Here are some ideas of who else can help.

Information about sex

Your local sexual health service can give you free and confidential information about:

  • contraception
  • sex and relationships
  • sexually transmitted infections
  • health and well-being.

To find your nearest service and more information, visit:

Information about relationships

There is lots of information about relationships online. Here are some websites aimed at teenagers and younger adults:

Relate offers a range of online, face-to-face or phone services to help with relationships. Visit their website or call 0300 100 1234.

Support for teenagers or young people with cancer

Support for lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT) young people

Specialist professionals

There are lots of specialists who can help with different things. Your healthcare team may arrange for you to see a specialist if you need more support or advice. Here are some types of specialist and what they might offer.

Counsellors, therapists, social workers, psychologists and psychiatrists

These specialists are all slightly different. But they can all help you understand and cope with your feelings and difficult situations. They do that by talking and listening to you. Sometimes they can give you advice or ideas to help you cope.

Fertility specialist

A healthcare professional who specialises in treatments to help people become pregnant.

Sex therapists

A sex therapist is usually a healthcare professional who is trained to support people with sexual problems. They can often help you work out whether a problem is physical or emotional, or both. They offer advice and exercises that may help.


A doctor who specialises in treating female reproductive system problems.


A doctor who specialises in treating male or female urinary tract problems. They also treat male reproductive system problems.


A doctor who specialises in treating hormonal problems.