Fertility tests for women

Usually a woman is referred to see a specialist at a fertility clinic after trying to get pregnant for one to two years. But if you have had cancer treatment, your cancer doctor or GP may arrange for you to have fertility testing sooner or before you start trying. If needed, you can have these tests repeated to see if things have changed.

What do the tests involve?

Fertility tests can measure the number of eggs in your ovaries (your ovarian reserve) or how close you are to the menopause.

A fertility specialist may do an ultrasound scan of your ovaries to look at the tiny fluid-filled pockets (called follicles) which contain the eggs. This is called an antral follicle count.

Your doctor will ask you about your periods and take blood tests to check levels of hormones that affect fertility. If you are having periods, you can have a blood test to measure the level of a hormone called follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH). Another test measures anti-Mullerian hormone (AMH). This can be done even if you are not having periods.

Taking the contraceptive pill or hormone replacement therapy (HRT) can affect the results of some fertility tests. Let your doctor know if you are taking either of these.