A team of specialists will meet to discuss and decide on the best treatment for you. This multidisciplinary team (MDT) will include:
- a surgeon who specialises in bowel cancers
- a clinical oncologist (cancer specialist), who specialises in chemotherapy and radiotherapy
- a nurse specialist, who gives information and support
- a radiologist, who analyses x-rays and scans
- a pathologist, who advises on the type and extent of the cancer
- a stoma care nurse, who gives information and support about stoma care.
It may also include other healthcare professionals, such as a gastro-enterologist (doctor who specialises in bowel problems), dietitian, physiotherapist, occupational therapist, psychologist or counsellor.