Other financial help


You may be able to claim grants from a variety of sources. These include occupational funds, utility companies (gas, electricity and water companies) and charities.

Macmillan give small one-off grants to help people meet expenses that have arisen from, or are associated with, their cancer. You have to apply for a Macmillan grant through a health or social care professional.

For more information, contact Macmillan and speak to a welfare rights adviser or a cancer support specialist. You can call our support line for free on 0808 808 00 00. The Guide to Grants for Individuals in Need gives details of all the trusts and organisations that provide financial support to people in the UK. It’s available from bookshops or public libraries.


These are free in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

In England, people with cancer and some long-term conditions can also get free prescriptions. You need to apply for an exemption certificate by collecting an FP92A form from your GP surgery or specialist.