Virgin Money Macmillan Guides
Virgin Money Macmillan Guides are customer-facing Virgin Money employees in selected Stores and contact centres. They are trained to support people living with or affected by cancer through emotional support, providing relevant information, or signposting to other sources of support.
How our guides help
A cancer diagnosis can be tough on your finances, often causing worry and confusion. Macmillan are working in partnership with Virgin Money to strengthen support and guidance for people living with cancer.
Virgin Money Macmillan Guides really understand the impact a cancer diagnosis can have, on all aspects of your life, including on your finances. They provide emotional support and direct you to wider sources of support available. They take the time to listen to customers, either over the phone or in selected Virgin Money Stores around the UK. These volunteers are customer service specialists who have been trained by Macmillan to:
- listen to your concerns and provide emotional support
- explain how both Macmillan and Virgin Money’s specialist teams could help you
- guide you to other sources of information and support
- connect you to Macmillan services in your local area
If you are affected by cancer at all, one of our guides may be able to help you.
Andrea, Virgin Money Credit Card Team, Newcastle
Andrea sadly lost both parents, her sister-in-law and her aunt to cancer.
As such, she is aware of how life-changing a cancer diagnosis can be for the person themselves and their loved ones. Andrea is now trained as a Virgin Money Macmillan Guide in the Virgin Money's Credit Card team.
Image: Andrea with family
"I feel very privileged to have been given the opportunity to become a Macmillan Guide.
I can empathise with other people’s situations, emotions and feelings to offer a glimmer of hope and a listening ear at this difficult time for people.
I think it is so important you have the support of someone who can detach themselves from the situation and act as an impartial observer. Your head ends up full of stuff and nothing makes sense - that is why I believe Macmillan Guides is such an important initiative.”
Sally, Virgin Money Cleckheaton Store, Yorkshire
Sally has seen a lot of her close family and friends impacted by cancer. Sally was herself diagnosed with grade three triple negative breast cancer which had spread to her lymph nodes. She has since successfully undergone treatment and is cancer free.
Image: Sally, A Virgin Money Macmillan Guide
"I wanted to be a Virgin Money Macmillan Guide to help people navigate their cancer journey and offer assistance with any financial issues they might have,” says Sally. “It’s hard enough dealing with a cancer diagnosis without having to worry about finances on top of everything else, so it’s fantastic that Virgin Money is launching this initiative."
“Macmillan Guides have a vital role to play in supporting people affected by cancer, helping to ease the pressure that financial stress can bring on top of a cancer diagnosis. Our roles should mean that people are able to concentrate on their own or their loved ones’ wellbeing.”
Over the phone
To receive support from a trained Guide, contact Virgin Money via the relevant team for the product(s) you have. Any colleague you speak to can arrange a call-back from a Guide at a time that suits you.
You can also receive support from a Virgin Money Macmillan Guide in any of the selected Virgin Money Stores listed below.
- Birmingham – 133-138 New Street, Birmingham, B2 4JQ
- Bradford – 14 Broadway, Bradford, BD1 1EZ
- Chelmsford – 83 High Street, Chelmsford, CM1 1DX
- Cleckheaton – 12 Bradford Road, Cleckheaton, BD19 3RJ
- Cramlington - 15-16 Dudley Court, Manor Walks Shopping Centre, Cramlington,NE23 6QW
- Durham – 76 Saddler Street, Durham, DH1 3NP
- Manchester - 48-50 Market Street, Manchester, M1 1PW
- Mexborough – 6a High Street, Mexborough, S64 9AP
- Nottingham - 11 Smithy Row, Nottingham, NG1 3EJ
- Rochdale - 9-11 Yorkshire Street, Rochdale, OL16 1BL
- Sheffield - 66 Fargate, Sheffield, S1 2HE
- Sunderland - 43 Fawcett Street, Sunderland, SR1 1SA
- Swindon - 10 Regent Circus, Swindon, SN1 1PW
- Washington - Unit w and x The Galleries, Washington, NE38 7SD
- Whitby - 72-74 Baxtergate, Whitby, YO21 1BB
- Aberdeen – 1 Queens Cross, Aberdeen, AB15 4XU
- Aberdeen – 62 Union Street, Aberdeen, AB10 1WD
- Broughty Ferry - 89 Gray Street, Broughty Ferry, DD5 2AL
- Glasgow Hillhead - 326 Byres Road, Glasgow, G12 8AN
- Inverurie - 26 West High Street, Inverurie, AB51 3SL
- Irvine - 151 High Street, Irvine, KA12 8AD
- Keith - 161 Mid Street, Keith, AB55 5BL
- Newton Mearns - 15a The Avenue, Newton Mearns, G77 6AA
- Perth - 158-162 High Street, Perth, PH1 5UH
If you are worried about your finances or are having payment difficulties, there are ways that Virgin Money can help you. Find out more on the Virgin Money website.
To find out more about the services available to you, you can:
- visit the financial help section of our website
- learn about Macmillan Grants
- access our Benefits calculator
- visit our In Your Area directory and enter your postcode.
Macmillan is also here to support you. If you would like to talk, you can:
Our specialist Financial Guidance service is available to anyone who calls the Macmillan Support Line. They are available Monday-Friday, 8am-6pm.