7 September 2015
• World’s Biggest Coffee Morning is Macmillan Cancer Support’s annual flagship fundraiser and is celebrating its 25th birthday on Friday 25th September
• The idea remains simple: Macmillan wants people to getting together with family, friends or colleagues over coffee and cake, to raise money for people affected by cancer
• In 2014 it raised a record breaking £25 million and this year Macmillan are hoping to raise even more! We estimate that over 220,000 people across the UK will register to hold a coffee morning, with over 6 million cups of coffee and 12 million slices of cake due to be consumed. In fact, you’ll never be further than ½ mile away from a coffee morning on the big day
• The event started in 1990, when a local fundraising committee decided to hold a coffee morning and donate the cost of their coffee to Macmillan in the process. The idea seemed such a simple, yet effective one that they suggested the model be taken up nationally and in 1991 2,600 people registered to hold coffee mornings across the country. Since then it has raised over £138 million in total for Macmillan
• There are currently 2.5 million people living with cancer and by 2020 almost one in two people will get cancer at some point in their lives. For most of us it will be the toughest fight we ever face. But no one should face cancer alone
• Right now we need your help to make sure that people affected by cancer get the support they need to face the toughest fight of their life. Macmillan are here for people when they need someone to turn to. Right from the moment they are diagnosed, through treatment and beyond, we’re a constant source of support, giving people the energy and inspiration to take back control of their life.
For further information, please contact:
Gabrielle Taylor – Press Officer, Macmillan Cancer Support
020 7091 2063 (out of hours 07801 307068)
Notes to Editors:
About Macmillan Cancer Support
When you have cancer, you don’t just worry about what will happen to your body, you worry about what will happen to your life. Whether it’s concerns about who you can talk to, planning for the extra costs or what to do about work, at Macmillan we understand how a cancer diagnosis can take over everything.
That’s why we’re here. We provide support that helps people take back control of their lives. But right now, we can’t reach everyone who needs us. We need your help to make sure that people affected by cancer get the support they need to face the toughest fight of their life. No one should face cancer alone, and with your support no one will.
To get involved, call 0300 1000 200
today. And please remember, we’re here for you too. If you’d like support, information or just to chat, call us free on 0808 808 00 00
(Monday to Friday, 9am–8pm) or visit macmillan.org.uk