Benefits of working at Macmillan
We want everyone at Macmillan to have a great work-life balance. Your manager will work closely with you to make sure your schedule works for you. You are more than your job, and we want to create flexibility around the other priorities in your life.
Depending on your role, you may have the option to:
- compress your full-time hours (34.5 hours) into 4 days instead of 5
- compress your full-time hours into 9 days instead of 10 days over a fortnight, so you have 1 day off every other week
- work from home. If you have an office-based role, you may be able to work from home full-time, or a dual location contract, where you work partly from home and partly from a Macmillan office
- work part-time
- set your working hours based around our core working hours of 10am to 4pm (eg 8am to 4pm, 9am to 5pm, 10am to 6pm)
- job share (share a full-time role with another employee).
Your well-being comes first at Macmillan. We need to make sure you have the environment and opportunities you need to lead a healthy life and make choices to support your well-being.
We've developed a range of approaches to address well-being in the workplace, drawing on research into well-being and based on feedback obtained from a well-being audit. Our well-being offer includes:
- Employee Assistance Programme: you can access confidential support and advice on a number of topics. This can include free counselling sessions.
- Safeguarding and Welfare Team: we have a team dedicated to supporting staff health and well-being, to allow people to live free from abuse, harm and neglect. They are available to Macmillan staff 24 hours a day.
- Stronger Minds: a comprehensive counselling service available to members of our Private Medical Insurance scheme.
- Mental health first-aiders: we have trained members of staff who can provide instant support and signpost you to further support when you are struggling with your mental health.
- Well-being champions: we have people in all directorates who are dedicated well-being champions. Their role is to signpost colleagues to well-being support and information, and organise activities to promote well-being.
- Access to: an online Well-being Centre, FITFOR.TV (an online fitness studio), and free flu vaccinations.
Our Voice staff forum
Our Voice is our employee forum, an independent voice representing staff views and helping to make changes at Macmillan.
With approximately 32 reps covering all directorates, the reps are available to support you with anything. From accompanying you to a formal meeting (such as a performance or probation meeting), talking through issues you may be experiencing with a colleague, to advocating for you on things that matter to you, and giving you a safe space to speak up and be heard.
You can sign up for Private Medical Insurance with the option to buy extra cover for your family.
Our Private Medical Insurance Scheme with AXA Health covers a number of situations including:
- in-patient and day patient services
- out-patient services (including access to Working Body, where you can talk to a physiotherapist without a GP referral)
- mental health in-patient and day patient services
- out-patient services (including access to Stronger Minds, for any mental health concerns without a GP referral).
Please note: there may be some situations that are not covered by your insurance. Always check your cover before making a claim.
We will work with you to make sure you get the training you need for your role.
We have a core training offer, with 120+ resources available to help you develop your skills and confidence in your professional and personal development, from project management, teamwork and collaboration, to time management.
If you are a health and social care professional, you will have access to our comprehensive learning and communications hub.
- competitive annual leave - 25 days holiday a year, plus an additional day for each full year that you work here (up to 30 days)
- a holiday buying and selling scheme, allowing full-time employees to purchase up to a maximum of 2 weeks extra holiday
- one volunteer day a year, where you can take a day to volunteer with Macmillan or somewhere else without using any annual leave
- discounts at over 800 brands and shops thanks to our reward scheme, Top Banana
- interest-free season ticket and gym loans
- a discount on Cyclescheme City Bike Hire, a cycle to work scheme
- a free will writing service for employees.
We know an inclusive workforce is a more effective, more dynamic workforce. The people who work here should reflect the people we support.
We want everyone to feel comfortable working at Macmillan, and we want you to be able to bring your whole self to work. When it comes to inclusion, we don't just talk about it, we take action, with our staff networks, and our equity, diversity and inclusion team and strategy.