Food has nutrients in it that our bodies need. The main groups of nutrients are carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins and minerals, fats, fibre and fluids. A healthy diet gives you all of the nutrients you need to keep your body working well. For most people, a balanced diet includes:
- lots of fruit and vegetables
- plenty of starchy (carbohydrate) foods such as bread, rice, pasta, noodles, couscous and potatoes
- some protein-rich foods such as meat, poultry, fish, nuts, eggs and pulses (beans and lentils)
- some milk and dairy foods such as cheese, yoghurt and cream
- just a small amount of food high in fat, salt and sugar.
Drinks should mainly be water, tea and coffee (without sugar), or sugar-free drinks such as fizzy drinks, colas and squashes.