Adapting your home and nursing care

Home adaptations

Local authorities can provide financial help if you need to repair, improve or adapt your home for health reasons.

For example, you could apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant to help install a stair lift, a ramp, or central heating. For more information, contact your local authority or visit

How can I claim?

Contact your local authority.

Aids and equipment

If you need special equipment or aids to help you manage at home, for example a raised toilet seat or hand rails, your GP or specialist nurse can refer you to a social worker to get these on your behalf. Or you can contact your local social services or social work department. They can arrange for a social worker or occupational therapist to assess your needs, and may be able to supply what you need at no cost. You can also get general advice and information about all types of equipment from the Disabled Living Foundation.

If you have difficulties using public transport, see our information about local transport for information about community transport schemes that could help.

Nursing care

People who are responsible for their own nursing home charges should check whether they’re entitled to financial help. Speak to your healthcare professional or call the Macmillan Support Line on 0808 808 00 00.

Back to Help with bills and housing costs

Housing benefit

Housing Benefit may help you pay for rented accommodation if you are on a low income.

Council tax support

Council Tax Support can help people in England, Scotland and Wales who are struggling to pay their council tax.

Keeping warm

There are simple changes you can make around the house to help keep your energy costs down.

Help with energy bills

There are schemes to help you manage the cost of fuel bills and to make energy-saving changes to your home.