For most people, a daily balanced diet includes:
- lots of fruit and vegetables
- plenty of starchy foods (carbohydrates), such as bread, rice, pasta, noodles, couscous and potatoes
- some protein-rich foods, such as meat, poultry, fish, nuts, eggs and pulses (beans and lentils)
- some milk and dairy foods, such as cheese, yoghurt and cream
- just a small amount of food high in fat, salt and sugar
Drinks should mainly be water, tea and coffee (without sugar), or sugar-free drinks such as fizzy drinks, colas and squashes.
The diagram below shows how much of each type of food you should try to eat.