Your GP or cancer specialist can usually arrange a referral if there are problems you need advice about. Or you may be able to self refer. A physiotherapist or a qualified cancer exercise specialist, if you have one, can help you:
- build your physical fitness
- improve your energy, strength, joint range of movement, coordination and balance
- manage the side effects or after effects of treatment
- enjoy and increase your physical activities and avoid injuries.
You can ask questions, such as:
- ‘I’ve never exercised before – how should I start?’
- ‘I was very active before my diagnosis – will I be able to get back to the same level?’
- ‘How can I improve my shortness of breath and feel less tired?’
- ‘How can I improve my balance?’
- ‘Can I improve the strength of my hands, arms or legs?’
- ‘How can I manage fatigue and balance work and home life?’
- ‘Which exercises can help me get up the stairs?’
If you have more specific needs they can arrange a rehabilitation programme for you.