One of the most common worries people have about wearing a wig is how to keep it in place. Although a well-fitting wig should stay in place on its own, here are some tips to give you extra confidence that your wig is secure.
- Use double-sided tape. Wig specialists have hypoallergenic tape that doesn’t irritate the skin. The tape is attached to the underside of the wig and gives a secure but comfortable bond. Surgical spirit can be used to remove any leftover adhesive. Your skin may be very sensitive due to your cancer treatment so ask your doctor or specialist nurse which tape you can use and whether it’s okay to use surgical spirit.
- If you still have some of your own hair, or if it’s growing back, it may be possible to keep your wig or hairpiece in place by using special clips in various hair colours. The wig specialist can advise you about this.
- Bend over and shake your head to check your wig or hairpiece is securely in place.
- Wear a hat or scarf to help secure your wig if it’s a windy day.
- Wear something that is easy to take off, such as a cardigan or shirt if you’re going to see the doctor for an examination. This is also a good idea when you’re shopping and know that you will be trying on clothes.