A team of specialists will meet to plan your treatment. This multidisciplinary team (MDT) will include a:
- surgeon who specialises in bowel cancers
- medical oncologist (chemotherapy specialist)
- clinical oncologist (radiotherapy and chemotherapy specialist)
- nurse specialist
- radiologist (specialist in x-rays and scans)
- pathologist (specialist in studying tissue samples to detect diseases)
- stoma care nurse.
It may also include other healthcare professionals, such as a gastroenterologist (doctor who specialises in bowel problems), dietitian, physiotherapist, occupational therapist, psychologist or counsellor.
If the cancer has spread to your liver, you may also be referred to an MDT that specialises in surgery for secondary cancer in the liver. In this situation, the two MDTs will work together to plan your treatment.