A team of specialists will meet to discuss and decide on the best treatment for you. This multidisciplinary team (MDT) will include:
- a surgeon who specialises in bowel cancers
- an oncologist (cancer specialist), who specialises in chemotherapy and radiotherapy
- a nurse specialist, who gives information and support
- a radiologist, who analyses x-rays and scans
- a pathologist, who advises on the type and extent of the cancer
- a stoma care nurse, who gives information and support about stoma care.
It may also include other healthcare professionals, such as a gastroenterologist (doctor who specialises in bowel problems), dietitian, physiotherapist, occupational therapist, psychologist or counsellor.
Your multidisciplinary team uses national treatment guidelines to decide the most suitable treatment for you. Even so, you may want another medical opinion. We have more information about getting a second opinion.