Breakout session 3: Ensuring better treatments and reducing cancer equalities
Joanne Rule, Co-Chair, National Cancer Equalities Initiative
- Ann Fox, Nurse Director, North of England Cancer Network
Download Joanne Rule's presentation [Powerpoint]
Download Ann Fox's presentation [Powerpoint]
- Discrepancies between PCTs in funding decisions for drugs. Ann Fox spoke about the development of the North of England Cancer Drug Approval Group, which brings together PCTs in the region so that clinical and commissioning decisions are made together, to ensure that there is consistency in the area.
- Issues around medical ethics and how much to spend on each patient bring up questions around equalities. There was some discussion on the QALY and how NICE makes decisions on funding, particularly in the case of rarer cancers.
- In looking where to site ambulatory/satellite centres, we need to take account of equality issues.
- It is important that different groups in society are able to access information about cancer.
Breakout session four: Living with or beyond cancer >