Why do you need me?
Each year, hundreds of people from across the UK brave the elements (and sore feet!) to collect vital funds and raise valuable awareness for Macmillan. We need an enthusiastic and well-organised individual (or group) to help us make this happen by planning Macmillan collections across the Birmingham and Black Country area, recruiting and co-ordinating the volunteers who take part.
Macmillan improves the lives of people affected by cancer. We provide practical, medical, emotional and financial support and campaign for better cancer care. We currently reach around half of those who need us and ambition is to be there for everyone living with cancer. To achieve this we need your help to grow!
What activities will I be involved in?
- Co-ordinating annual collections in the Birmingham and Black Country area with your fundraising team
- Sourcing venues for collections and securing permissions
- Recruiting new collections volunteers
- Issuing up to date fundraising materials and collection merchandise to volunteers and committees
- Ensuring merchandise is delivered
- Maintenance of volunteer and collections records (database and excel spreadsheet work)
- Thanking collectors and informing them of how much was raised by them individually and for larger collections, how much was raised in total.
Will I need my own transport?
- Access to vehicle/good transport links would be helpful to get to and from the local office and if you want to get out and meet collectors at any point.
- What skills and abilities will I need to have?
- Excellent organisational skills
- Good communication skills and a clear and polite telephone manner
- Reliable and honest
- Computer experience desirable
- Adherence to Macmillan’s policies, including health and safety, equal opportunities, confidentiality and financial guidelines
- An interest in cancer care and the services that Macmillan provides
- Ability to commit to this role for at least 12 months
What are the goals?
- To help raise as much money as possible during authorised collections and to raise awareness of Macmillan’s work
- To co-ordinate annual collections smoothly and ensure that our volunteers enjoy them!
- To expand Macmillan’s local volunteer network
How much time should I offer?
Approx 1 day per week during office hours with some flexibility about which days and as most collections are at weekends, occasional weekends.
Where will I be based?
In your local fundraising office in Sheldon or home based with office support.
What are the benefits to me?
- Meeting and working with new people
- Challenging, fun and rewarding experiences
- Learning fundraising, communication and management skills
- Gaining administrative and IT skills
- Adding to your CV
- Getting to know your local community and making a real difference
- Improving the lives of people affected by cancer.
Is there an induction and training?
- Information pack and induction provided to help familiarise you with the work of the charity and the fundraising team
- Training on Macmillan’s database will be provided
- A briefing on collections in the Birmingham and Black Country area, looking at Macmillan’s activities and needs within the area.
What ongoing support/guidance will there be?
- Fully supported by the local fundraising team with regular meetings with your Fundraising Manager (frequency will be agreed when you start).
- Opportunities to meet and network with staff and fellow volunteers during the year
- Information and opportunities to become involved with Macmillan in other ways should you wish to
- You will be updated on the success of the team!
Will my expenses be paid?
We refund volunteers' 'out-of-pocket' expenses within agreed guidelines.
What’s the next step?
Please go to the link below to download an application form, to apply return to:
Ann Gumery, Fundraising Support Assistant
Birmingham and Black Country Fundraising Office, 2nd Floor, Delta View, Coventry Road, Sheldon, Birmingham B26 3PG
Or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information please contact Ann Gumery on tel: 0121 742 6393 or email: email@example.com