Celebrating the work of Macmillan professionals
People living with cancer frequently tell us that their Macmillan professional is one of the people they turn to during difficult times. We also hear how Macmillan professionals have often exceeded their expectations to make them feel supported, and to ensure they are heard. Read more about these personal stories.
The vital role of Macmillan professionals
The first Macmillan nurse was appointed in 1975. Since then the story of cancer and the cancer workforce has changed and is continuing to change. For example, people are living longer with cancer, and often with other long-term conditions at the same time. They have to deal with the consequences of cancer treatment too, which makes the role of Macmillan professionals even more important.
Did you know?
We now support over 9,000 Macmillan health and social care professionals, something we simply couldn’t do without the support of our amazing fundraisers and donors.
In 2014 alone:
- Macmillan nurses supported over half a million cancer patients and helped many more carers, family members and friends.
- Macmillan allied healthcare professionals (including physiotherapists, dietitians, pharmacists and occupational therapists) supported over 135,000 cancer patients.
- Our national network of face-to-face benefits advisers worked on over 64,000 individual cases, supporting over 120,000 people affected by cancer and identified over £180m in benefits.
- Macmillan information and support services were visited over 450,000 times by more than 270,000 people affected by cancer.
- Our four Macmillan mobile information and support services reached over 78,000 people affected by cancer.
- Boots Macmillan information pharmacists help people affected by cancer access the information and support they need and helped over 54,000 people affected by cancer across the UK.
Those are just some of the reasons we’re thanking all the professionals who work with people affected by cancer, and why we’ll continue to support them.
If you want to know more about the reach of Macmillan’s services have a look at our factsheet. For more information about the impact that Macmillan professionals make, you can find out more on our impact briefs page.
There's always more we can do
We can only support the work of Macmillan professionals because of our amazing team of fundraisers and donors, and there’s a lot more we want to do.
Sponsor a Macmillan nurse - Find out how you can help a Macmillan nurse to support people living with cancer.