Browser does not support script.
Skip to main content
4. National Institute of Health and Clinical Excellence. NICE clinical guidance on supportive and palliative care. 2004.
5. National Cancer Action team (NCAT). Nursing Health Mandate. 2010. National Cancer Action team.
6. Department of Health. National Cancer Patient Experience Survey Programme – 2010: national survey report. Department of Health, London.
7. Department of Health. Cancer Reform Strategy – second annual report. 2009. Department of Health, London.
10. Douglas H-R, Halliday D, Normand C, Corner J, Bath P, Beech N, Clark D, Hughes P, Marples R, Seymour J, Skilbeck J, and Webb T. Economic evaluation of specialist cancer and palliative nursing: Macmillan evaluation study findings. International Journal of Palliative Nursing. 2003. 9 (10) 429–435.
11. Royal College of Nursing. Maxi nurses: nurses working in advanced and extended roles promoting and developing patient-centred healthcare. 2005. Royal College of Nursing, London.
12. Hamric A.B, Spross J.A, Hanson C.M. Advanced Practice Nursing: An integrative approach. 3rd edition. 2005. Elsevier.
13. Blazeby, J. M, Wilson, L, Metcalfe C, Nicklin J, English R, Donovan J L. Analysis of clinical decision making in multidisciplinary cancer teams. Annals of Oncology. 2006.17: 457–60.
14. Corner J, Halliday D, Haviland J, Douglas H, Bath P, Clark D, Normand C, Beech N, Hughes P, Marples, R, Seymour J, Skilbeck J and Webb T. Exploring nursing outcomes for patients with advanced cancer following intervention by Macmillan specialist palliative care nurses. Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2003. 41(6) 61–574.
15. Webber J. The Evolving Role of the Macmillan Nurse. 1997. Macmillan Cancer Relief, London.
16. Keenan E, Eaton K, Adam S. Using a database to demonstrate the clinical nurse specialist’s contribution to patient care. Nursing Times. 2010. 106: 22, early online publication.
17. Leary A. Vital Statistics. Nursing Standard. 2007. 3 (21) 17.
18. Royal College of Nursing. Nursing and Payment by Results: Understanding the cost of care| [PDF, 238kb]. 2009. Royal College of Nursing, London. (accessed April 2010).
19. Trevatt P, Petit J, Leary A. Mapping the English Cancer Clinical Nurse Specialist Workforce. Cancer Nursing Practice. 2008. 7 (3): 33–38.
1. Trevatt P, Petit J, and Leary A. Mapping the English cancer clinical nurse specialist workforce. Cancer Nursing Practice. April 2008. 7 (3): 33–38.
2. Leary A, Crouch H, Lezard A, Rawcliffe C, Boden L and Richardson A. Dimensions of clinical nurse specialist work in the UK. Nursing Standard. December 17 2008. 23, 15–17, 40–44.
3. Royal College of Nursing. Advanced Nurse Practitioners. An RCN Guide to the Advanced Practitioner Role, Competences and Programme Accreditation. 2010. London, Royal College of Nursing.
4. Trevatt P. and Leary A. A census of the advanced and specialist cancer nursing workforce in England, Northern Ireland and Wales. European Journal of Oncology Nursing. 2010. 14: 68–73.
5. National Cancer Action Team. Clinical Nurse Specialists in Cancer Care; Provision, Proportion and Performance. A census of the cancer specialist nurse workforce in England 2010| [PDF, 440kb]. 2010. (accessed 10 January 2011).
6. Mc Gee P. Ed. Advanced Practice in Nursing and the Allied Health Professions. 3rd Edition. 2009. Wiley-Blackwell.
7. Trevatt P and Leary A. Commissioning the specialist cancer workforce. Cancer Nursing Practice. June 2010. 9 (5): 23–26.
8. Department of Health. Tackling Cancer: Improving the Patient Journey|. 2005. (accessed 4 January 2011).
9. Pollard C.A, Garcea G, Pattenden C.J, Curran R, Neal C.P, Berry D.P and Dennison A R. Justifying the expense of the cancer Clinical Nurse Specialist. European Journal of Cancer Care. 2010. 19, 72–79.
10. National Cancer Action Team. Excellence in Cancer Care: The Contribution of the Clinical Nurse Specialist| [PDF, 788kb]. 2010. (accessed 14 December 2010).
11. Hardie H and Leary A. Value to patients of a breast cancer clinical nurse specialist. Nursing Standard. April 28–May 4 2010. 24 (34): 42–47.
12. Nursing and Midwifery Council. Regulation of advanced nursing practice. (accessed 15 December 2010).
13. Sullivan A and Elliott S. Assessing the value of the clinical nurse specialist. Cancer Nursing Practice. December 2007. 6 (10): 25–28.
14. Leary A, Bell N, Darlison L and Guerin, M. An analysis of lung cancer clinical specialist workload and value. Cancer Nursing Practice. December 2008. 7 (10): 29–33.
15. Department of Health. Delivering the Cancer Reform Strategy (Executive Summary)|. 2009.(accessed 10 January 2010).
16. Mitchell T, Butler-Williams C, Easton K, Ingledew I, Parkin D, Wade S and Warner R. The consultant nurse – expert practitioner and more. British Journal of Nursing. May 2010. 19 (8): 481–8.
17. Waters A. Pandora maps the complexity of what clinical nurse specialists actually do. Nursing Standard. 2007. November 14: 22 (10): 14–15.
More from the latest edition of Mac Voice|
Macmillan Learn Zone|
Macmillan Online Community|
Writing an article for Mac Voice?
Download top tips|
Tel 020 7091 2219
If you have any questions about Macmillan we would love to hear from you| .
You can also follow us| on Facebook, Twitter, Flickr or YouTube.
© Macmillan Cancer Support 2013
what are these?|